Sunday, 10 August 2008

Training update

The training has been going well and i feel confident now about the ride itself. A week last Sunday in fairly significant heat I  rode 123.2 miles at a 17 mph average speed which I was fairly happy with. The bum was a bit sore but other than that I rode comfortably all day. The route which took me out to Lincoln and then Kirton on Lindsey before returning through Epworth was pretty flat but significantly longer than either of the days on the actual ride. I hoped that by exchanging the extra miles for the lack of climbing, a fairly accurate idea of a typical day could be achieved.
I'm also trying out some new kit, the radical Rido Saddle (www.rido-cyclesaddles.com) which is really inexpensive compared to 90% of the market but claim to offer the most comfortable ride. I will report here on whether the claims are true!
All the accommodation is booked, my neighbour Pete has the maps marked up, the route is clear apart from two bridle-paths that are missing on the OS maps, i'm happy to wing those bits though. 
I'm out on the bike again in the morning to get a few miles in, just looking forward to doing it now. Fingers crossed...

No comments: