
Today was an exercise intended to help with the planning for the actual coast to coast in September. With transport and assistance from my neighbour Pete we went up to Cleasby in North Yorkshire. I set off around 8.30am (see pic) intending to ride to Whitby on the East Coast by sunset! The distance is about 65 miles, in actual fact it wasn't too bad, it took me 4 hours and 45 minutes, so with a short stop for 'elevenses' in Great Ayton I arrived at the old seaside town at 2.30pm.
The climbs were tough but none bad enough so I had to get off and push (quite a few 25% inclines), but overall I managed a 13.5 mph average. Not too bad given i'm on a mountain bike.
Anyhow, there's the update. I just need to go off and plan the ride properly now, work out the schedule, the stops, any B&B's required etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment